Sunday, April 14, 2013

4 / 14 / 2013 Update Big Project Little Project

Today I look back at two projects that have been done in the last two weeks.

How to make a shooting star?
City of Absent Giants met its first deadline. What this deadline entailed was how the heck am I gonna approach this project? How is it going to be visually presented? The myriad of technical problems had to be answerable. I know more now than I did two months ago.

This is true of all projects, but it is the big ones that make you really think. Even though I'm currently happy with the results I have reservations. With answers instead of assumptions it is now my task to reapply what I now know. 

Recently I completed a short 3-day project for The University of Washington's Japanese Student Association. A quick ad for their upcoming Matsuri held later this week.


The project began through my sister. I was busy with City of Absent Giants at the time, so I asked her to draw me a storyboard and characters. The flustered Journalism Major did her best, which as it turned out supplied me with more than enough information to get started.

However the finished work is heavily abridged from what she boarded out (which could have easily been 3-minutes). Mind you she had no concept of the 180 degree rule and the general theme was a Husky discovering the Matsuri. I changed the theme to "Husky Yojimbo brinin' teh partay" while the chain of characters we meet remains the same.

Husky Yojimbo brings the party.
It was an interesting experiment to play on my unsuspecting sister. My initial motive was to get a feel for girly drawings - you know cute drawings. To see what someone else would come up with besides myself. I undoubtedly changed things when it came to make the actual art -however Madame Bun-Bun is the only character I actually made up. Years of Asian cuisine ads where women with paper fans laughing for no discernible reason had finally taken their toll.
 
Cast o' characters.
The uncool thing about this project was the deadline. The cool thing is that I'm now crazy fast. The cool thing about this project was rediscovering funny animal characters. The uncool aspect was my realization that I need to draw more. The cool thing is I'll probably be drawing more animals.

Yep, the continual act of juggling skill sets continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment